The covenant family is very important to Riverwood. We provide many Fellowship, Discipleship and Service opportunities for children.
- Sunday School: Meets on Sunday mornings at 9:30am. We have classes for everyone and wonderful teachers. We use the “Show Me Jesus” curriculum from Great Commission Publications for the Toddler Class. All other classes use Investigating God’s Words developed by One Stories Ministry. All classes are focused on teaching the children the Truths of the Bible at an age-appropriate level.
- Nursery: At Riverwood, we welcome children of all ages in the corporate worship service. Parents who choose to bring young children into worship with them often bring quiet activities and snacks to help their child. Sometimes, parents feel the need to move into the narthex if they think their child is being disruptive. This room is just off of the sanctuary and has speakers to allow you to still hear what is happening inside. We understand the challenges that come with parenting in worship and are not put off by the sounds and movement required in doing so. Other parents prefer to utilize the nursery and toddler room. These services are for children ages 0- 3 years old. The nursery/toddler area is in the downstairs of the Education Wing which is the building on the immediate right when you enter the parking lot.
- Covenant Kids Club (Ages 5-12): Meets on Sunday nights from 5:30-7:00 pm August through May. Dinner, Play, Music and Bible Lessons are part of the evening’s activities. This year we will be learning the New City Catechism
- Special Events: Throughout the year we have special programs/events for the children. Please review our church calendar for specific dates.
- Reformation Celebration: This is a time the entire church comes together to celebrate and learn more about the Reformation. There are games and prizes for the children, dinner, and lots and lots of fun.
- Christmas Craft and Fun Day: This is held on a Saturday morning in December from 9 am -12 pm. During this time, the children have crafts, games, Bible lesson and music to teach them more about the Birth of Jesus Christ.
- Easter Celebration: This is typically held the Saturday before Palm Sunday. It is a time of crafts, games, Bible Lesson and music to teach the children about the last week of Christ’s life as well as his death and resurrection.
- Ridge Haven Camp: For families that are interested, the Children’s Ministry help campers get to Ridge Haven Camp in North Carolina during a designated week during the summer through fund raising and transportation as a group to camp.
- Vacation Bible School: This is normally held in the beginning of July. It is a 4-day program from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm. The children are divided into age groups and go through a series of stations of games, music, crafts, and lesson with a time for snacks all focused on a story from the Bible.
- Other Events: Based on parent’s needs and children’s desires we plan other events throughout the year including movie nights, game nights, zoo outings, etc. for a time of Fellowship and fun.
- Service Opportunities: Throughout the year and during different events, we will have opportunities for the children to serve their Riverwood Church family as well as others in the surrounding community. Several examples of opportunities include participation in church wide workdays, Angel Tree through Prison Fellowship Program, collecting various supplies (e.g. schools, diapers) to meet needs in the community, and coloring birthday, get well, and holiday cards.
If you have any questions, please contact the Director of Children’s Ministry, Joann Williams